The Blog of Curtis Chambers

Bye Bye Drupal, Hello Django!

with 6 comments

So I’m kind of sad to say that I’m moving on from the Drupal development world.  I had a great time working on Drupal for the past 2 years and learned a lot about open source development.  I built quite a few sites with it and many modules as well.  While I think that Drupal is a great solution for contractors looking to build generic content sites for clients, I don’t think it’s a great platform for building a hyper-scalable dynamic web application.  Since I’m not doing consulting anymore and focusing my efforts on sites that are more personal to me, I’m moving away from the Drupal camp and over to the Django camp.

I’ve only been using Django for a couple of months now, but I’m incredibly impressed with it thus far.  While I definitely have to write more code with Django than I did with Drupal, the performance and flexibility that it affords me is well worth the effort.   The code is also much more straightforward and easy to understand, which makes the development times much shorter as well.  In fact, with one site that I had built in Drupal, I rebuilt the entire thing again from scratch using Django in less time, with HUGE performance benefits and with features that weren’t easily accomplished with Drupal.  I’m definitely a fan.

Anyway, next week I’ll be launching a new site that is built with Django, so I’m sure I’ll be posting about that soon enough.  I hope to get more involved in the Django community as well!  If anyone is going to SuperHappyDevHouse on Saturday, you might see me working on my newest Django site there.

About these ads

Written by Curtis Chambers

March 28, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Posted in Django, Drupal, Programming

6 Responses

1. is this the human interface person u were thinking of?

JK

April 5, 2008 at 3:07 am

2. It wasn’t necessarily a specific person I was talking about, but it’s funny that you mention that website as that’s my friend Rand’s wife’s blog! Small world…

Curtis

April 6, 2008 at 11:25 am

3. I am a Drupal fan. I am learning Django too. Could you tell me more about “development times much shorter” in Django? I think Drupal has everything then it takes less time to develop modules.

Chơi Cùng Bé

November 12, 2008 at 9:52 pm

4. Thinking of making the same switch, do you have any regrets so far ?

gary

March 3, 2009 at 5:35 am

5. could you highlight 5-10 differences regarding the frameworks that you found?

seth

June 6, 2009 at 8:09 pm

6. Have you quantified the performace gain?
    Page load time improvement?
    Are you dealing with millions of uniques per month?

Igna